Saturday, May 26, 2012

Katy Devlin, quilter.

When I was younger I took dance classes, mostly ballet, but some modern and jazz thrown in there. I have always loved musicals and my dream was to be in A Chorus Line one day. I have seen the stage production at least three times as far as I can remember and the movie version quite probably more than 50 times. Dance was my love, my passion, my dream.

I bring that up because just like a highschool romance I can see that dance was my puppy love. Quilting is my love. I have never found something that brings me so much joy and confidence. I could spend hours designing, sewing, trying new things (in fact I do lol).

For our June Bee a Lone Star{Burst} bee, Natalie asked for ombre stars, one going from light to dark and one going from dark to light. I have to admit to having some brief nasty thoughts about her. How dare she make it so difficult, this is supposed to be fun!! See, I'm not very comfortable at choosing fabrics and this just seemed beyond my ability. The first one I relied somewhat on the solids, and then just small prints.


I ended up getting a ton of compliments... hmm... maybe I *can* do this after all.

So I decided to just go ahead and tackle the second one. In two and a half hours, from choosing the fabrics to ironing the last seam, I finished this.


I couldn't believe it! I had made this! Every section I would stop and just feel thrilled at knowing I was making this. Me! It was then that I realised that I am good at this. I really, truly am good at this! I am not a professional by any means, and I have a TON of things to learn still... but for the first time in my life I feel a confidence and satisfaction I have never had. It is an amazing feeling and I am so glad that Natalie asked for her stars to be ombre so I could learn to be proud of myself.

There might just be hope for me yet :)

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on making the stars! They look great. Enjoy the confidence that comes from succeeding at your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very pretty, Katy! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at this, Katy! I know you have not been quilting for long, so I am truly impressed. These stars are so pretty! And everything I see in your photostream in Flickr and here on the blog is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad my blocks made you proud of yourself :) But those are just the latest of the very pretty things you've been making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on those lovely stars! I know how you feel - that's what I felt when I was able to make the "stargazing" blocks from the modern blocks book! Well done and now it's only onwards and upwards to even more challenges and skill building!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your two cents!